Welcome

Welcome to my blog. Here you can expect updates on what I'm up to - brought to you through both text and photos. Here you can see a map with pins showing areas in which I've taken photos. Keep an eye on this as the year goes on, as it should grow quickly.

If you scroll down, you will find a running slideshow of my Flickr Photostream. If you're interested, click on the slideshow to quickly jump over to my Flickr page.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Weekend at Cape Coast - Picture Overload


Full work weeks really help me to appreciate a good weekend. I can confidently say that I enjoyed this past weekend more than any other here so far, which is saying quite a bit considering how much fun last weekend was. Everyone was back in Accra on Friday night from their respective areas, and we used the opportunity to go try out another club in the city. I really found myself regretting this the next day after less than 3 hours of sleep, but I had a chance to catch up on some sleep on the bus.

We left from Afia Beach Hotel around 7 on Saturday morning with a few special guests. Bentley University President Gloria Larson and her husband Alan were in attendance along with a full-fledge camera crew who were documenting their trip. We also were sharing a massive bus with a few students and teachers from Wheelock College. It was a great experience to spend some quality time with President Larson on the bus.

P6234258


The contrast between these two photos, taken just minutes apart from the bus, really quite accurately defines one of Ghana’s (and so many other developing country’s) problems.

P6234261



P6234267
Very vivid effect put on this in Lightroom
Our first stop in Cape Coast was at Ghana’s most famous slave prison. Perhaps not so appropriately titled a Slave Castle, it represents the enormous slave trade in which Ghana played a significant role. The dichotomy of this area is really hard to explain. On one hand, you are surrounded by some of the most horrifying and tragic history ever, but on the other, the landscape is breathtaking. The prison sits right on the ocean and the fishing boats lining the beach and even floating on the water make it easy to forget exactly where you are. My pictures focus on the brighter side of things in no small part because the prison areas are almost pitch black. Not a friendly environment for cameras.

P6234276
These three guys, staying in Ho, are working on starting their own export business.

P6234292
Posted this because I know Mahlet will be thrilled with me.

P6234339
Chanelle (sorry it's probably spelled wrong) and Ashley

P6234328
From left to right: Diane, unknown, President Larson, Wheelock College Professor

P6234294
Shot from the high up slave prison

P6234316
A couple of kids who came over to investigate our tour group.

P6234319
Interesting story here: I thought I had a great experience going on, this man had asked me to come over to help him fix a hole in his fishing net. He taught me how and I did it for him. When I was done, he asked me for money. And, Diane took a picture of me. He asked for money for that too. Diane didn't ask his permission, so indeed payment was made.

P6234341
Fishing boats out on the water.

P6234331-Edit
Four photo panorama taken of Cape Coast.

After our tour at the slave prison we headed to nearby Elmira for our hotel, One Africa. As beautiful as Afia Beach Hotel was, this place was even better. 


P6234351
Me and President Larson at a restaurant by One Africa Hotel

P6234354
Of course what would this trip be without a reminder of the problems that limit the otherwise beautiful African coast.

P6234360


P6234377
Katherine and of the local kids, pretty mad it'snot in perfect focus.

P6234378
This kid was incredible, he climbed all the way up these trees with ease.

P6234382
Cute kid with one of the Wheelock College students.

P6244388
Anyone know what this is? Thought it looked nice.

P6244409
Fetching coconuts for us to drink from in the morning.

P6244411
Watching his buddy climb up the tree, love this shirt.

After spending the night in Elmira, we left One Africa behind for our last stop, Kakum National Park. This protected forest is home to, among other things, forest elephants, jaguars, monkeys, snakes, and more. Unfortunately, finding those animals requires a much more dedicated, multiple-week tour. We had come to enjoy the famous canopy walk. Some time ago 6 Canadians and 3 Ghanaians took it upon themselves to build a series of 7 rope bridges that carry those brave enough to walk them across the treetops of the forest. My fear of heights really didn’t help me here, but I’m proud to say that I and all others in our group were bold enough to cross the bridges. After maybe the third bridge or so I really settled in and even was willing to take my hands off the side ropes in order to take some pictures.

P6244423
This is the first bridge at the very beginning, doesn't look so high, right?

P6244426
Maybe a bit scarier now...

P6244432
Walking from bridge to bridge, terrified at this point I'm sure.


P6244436
Mike clearly had no fears up here.

P6244438
Don't look down.
Kakum also is crawling with geckos and while others who are staying in more rural areas said that geckos had become quite boring to them, I never get to see them in Accra. I was thrilled to find this clearly distant cousin of mine sunning himself on a rock, redheads clearly aren’t dying out after all.

P6244476


We returned to Afia Beach Hotel later in the afternoon and, with some time to kill and the opportunity to have another free meal on Bentley’s tab, we all decided to hang around before heading back to our host families. There was a strong haze coming from the ocean that created some interesting lighting for these pictures. My roommate Max joined the locals for some beach soccer, and some of the other guys went against absolutely everything we were told ahead of time and went for a swim in the ocean.

P6244486
Probably went overboard with the effects, but it's still kind of cool.


P6244488-Edit
Click on this to see it on Flickr, then click it again for the fullscreen. It's a panorama.


P6244493
Ghanaians walking the beach, right before a rainstorm.


P6244496
Max kicking it with the locals.


P6244501
Eric, right before the ladies started to take notice of him. (Photo credit: Dawn)


P6244503
Amanda (Photo credit: Dawn)


P6244521
Dan getting chased by one of the locals (Photo Credit: Dawn)

A great escape from the weekly grind and one which really has me looking forward to the long holiday weekend coming up.

1 comment:

  1. The flower in question looks like a Red Ixora from what I gathered on Google.

    ReplyDelete