Welcome

Welcome to my blog. Here you can expect updates on what I'm up to - brought to you through both text and photos. Here you can see a map with pins showing areas in which I've taken photos. Keep an eye on this as the year goes on, as it should grow quickly.

If you scroll down, you will find a running slideshow of my Flickr Photostream. If you're interested, click on the slideshow to quickly jump over to my Flickr page.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Simple Stuff: Photos from Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary

Taking the advice of mom, something I wouldn't dare admit doing under normal circumstances of course, I've decided to keep this post simple so I can share in a more timely manner. I recently had the chance to visit Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary on Bond University's dime, having won two free passes in a photo competition. The sanctuary is really an amazing place and was a pleasant surprise. I had been under the impression that there would be little more than kangaroos and koalas to see, which there were plenty of, but the diversity of animals to be found could easily have been classified as 'zooworthy'.

Beyond all of the animals, Currumbin is home to an extensive ropes course. With three increasingly difficult stages lasting about 1.5 hours in total, Melissa and I were exhausted by days end. But, we left with a feeling of accomplishment and to my pleasant surprise, standing on a platform at least 50 feet in the air at times secured by nothing more than two ropes and a harness (which needed to be removed and transferred in between obstacles, one rope at a time) barely even caused me any worry. Just months ago I insist that these heights would have had me on the verge of tears, my lifelong fear of heights getting the best of me. I credit my reckless canopy walk in Ghana and the abundance of roller coasters I've ridden in recent years for giving me the confidence boost. This said, I still get the chills when I consider the inevitable bungee jump and/or skydive of the coming months.

And that's all I have to say, really. Enjoy the photos. Many of them are up there with my favorites to date (I have a bias towards animals).


Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
A quite clearly upset Geico mascot.

Emerald Tree Frog
How is this not fake?

Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
Ambushed by a vicious python.

Australia's Finest
Stars of the show.

Australia's Finest
This is the expected behavior at all times unfortunately.

Macro Lorakeet
Thanks Melissa for the encouragement. She insisted I change to my macro lens to get an extreme close up of the bird and having been convinced, I have to say I'm thrilled with the outcome.

Macro Lorakeet
Same same.

Meditation
Meditation.

Rare Activity
I would have more koala photos but this one become quite aggressive and attacked! As seen in the photo above of course.

Curiosity
Aussie's raise their kids right. Teaching the little one how to hunt for Thanksgiving early on (so what if that's an American holiday...)

Echidna
Echidna.

Roo
Roo is inspecting our food bag.

Joey in the pouch
Hard to capture but I managed once, luckily - Joey popping his head out.

Roos
That big fellow in the foreground is about my height when standing on his hind legs.

Kangaroo Lounging
In rehab for a drug problem.

Feeding
These guys live the life. They get handfed all day long.

Hangin around
Trying to pick a fight with me perhaps?

Feeding
I got on his good side soon enough.

Poses
Poses by both parties, rare.

Happy Times
Friends.

Feeding

Joey tucked away
Someone should really tell this Joey it's time to get out of his mom's pouch...no?

Feeding
Reminds me of a certain dog back home.

Trapped in the bag
Classic animal move.

Less than involved

Roo Portrait
One of my favorites, I'm far better at animal portraits than human ones.

Feeding Trough
The feeding trough, as if handfeeding wasn't enough.

Baby Feed
The babies were far easier to startle, so getting them to come close wasn't all that easy.

Baby Feed
But I'm a real charmer you know.

Glum
The other drug buddy in rehab.

Greens
Another favorite, I like the greens in the background.

Moment
In for the kiss

Smile
Saying hello to the little guy.
Well, that's all for now. I hope you enjoyed them and if you already saw all of these on Facebook, I apologize for the repetition. Back to studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment